7 June 2021
’30 Seconds Over Tokyo‘ by PERE UBU
Pere Ubu’s 1975 debut single
Why David Thomas doesn’t retire after more than 40 years…
Full Pere Ubu here
5 March 2021
Album: Jun 1977 – PERE UBU In The Shadow Of The Aeronautical Shot Peening Co.
Released: 26 February 2021
Info: Recorded by David Thomas on a cassette at the Pirate’s Cove,
Old River Road in Cleveland, Ohio, on June 2 1977. Some tracks previously
released as ‘Pirate’s Cove 6/2/77.’
Songs: Heaven, Real World, Nonalignment Pact, Street Waves (incomplete),
Modern Dance, Laughing, Sentimental Journey, Over My Head and Final
TUTV: Poor sound quality as it was recorded on a cassette player,
but it has a DIY charm. For the diehard fans.
PERE UBU: Website
Memorable live moments…
Seeing Pere Ubu‘s mastermind David Thomas losing himself totally in the
moment is just stimulating to see and makes me shake my hips too..
BREATH was the opener of the band’s CLOUDLAND album (1989)
PERE UBU: Facebook
Turn Up The Volume saw about 150 acts playing live this past year. Here are the 15 Knockout Performances that made his body temperature going way up, made his adrenalin stream faster and had a lasting impact on his greedy ears & impressed eyes.
1. THE FLAMING LIPS – Melkweg, Amsterdam – 11 November – Review here
2. SLOWDIVE – Cactus Brugge Festival – 15 July – Review here
3. IDLES – De Zwerver, Leffinge, Belgium – 2 November – Review here
4. JOHNNY MARR – Trix Club, Antwerp – 7 December – Review here
5. FONTAINES D.C. – Botanique, Brussels – 4 May – Review here
6. NOEL GALLAGHER – Vorst National, Brussels – 6 April
7. THE GLÜCKS – Ghent Fest – 19 July – Review here
8. RUMOURS – Cosa Nostra, Aalst – 21 April – Review here
9. JUJU – Kinky Star, Ghent – 18 February – Review here
10. PEUK – De Kleine Kunst, Ghent – 8 September – Review here
11. AUTOBAHN – Kinky Star, Ghent – 11 February – Review here
12. FALLING MAN – Ghent Fest – 14 July – Interview here
13. PERE UBU – 4 AD, Diksmuide – 1 June – Review here
14. TUBELIGHT – Charlatan, Ghent – 23 March – Review here
15. PINK ROOM – Kinky Star, Ghent – 3 March – Review here
(all pictures by Turn Up The Volume!)
The best of the past…
Every week Turn Up The Volume! jumps into the past! Relive 25 Crackers and
3 Top Albums per year/per week. Here’s another fabulous year to remember: 1978.
The 25 KILLER TRACKS…
The 3 TOP ALBUMS…
– ‘All Mod Cons‘ by THE JAM –
– ‘Parallel Lines‘ by BLONDIE –
– ‘This Year’s Model’ by ELVIS COSTELLO –
See/hear you next week for the year of 1979…
PERE UBU – 4AD Club, Diksmuide, Belgium – 1 June 2018
Last Friday legendary Cleveland singer/songwriter/underground/rocker/poet/storyteller David Thomas and his PERE UBU band hit Belgium as part of an European tour following
the band’s release of the excellent 20 Years In A Montana Missile Silo LP last summer.
A flamboyant album showing (again) that Thomas still has the sound and vision – after almost 45 years – to inspire, to enrapture and to excite with verbal sharpness, cracking tales and kick-ass songs. Also live the 6-headed combo still knows how to get a hungry crowd of old and less older fans (not to forget some lifelong-super-devoted fans named one by one by chief Thomas) in a state of joyous agitation. Experienced musicians led by
a natural-born entertainer with a voice that whispers, sings, howls, screams and tells us stories about monkeys and about his burden: people very close to him beg on repeat to be… charming. Hilarious stuff. The roller coaster set featured several tracks from the new LP and some imperishable classics. Despite some physical problems nailing him to his chair the whole time Thomas rattled on and on with every single nerve he has in his body. After the last song, and a deserved ovation many, including myself, headed towards the bar, not expecting an encore. Oh my! Pere Ubu came back faster than we could order a drink and how! KICK-OUT-THE-JAMS-MOTHERFUCKERS! The biting and clamorous way Thomas spit that timeless line out, word by word, was nothing less than gobsmacking!
So was actually the whole smashing rendition of that MC5 classic. Thomas was playing guitar on his walking stick! Suddenly a splendid gig turned into one with an unforgettable moment of sheer euphoria. Hail hail! Fabulous!
20 Years in a Montana Missile Silo
Stream newest album right here…
(Concert pics by Turn Up The Volume!)